Welcome to the Deanery Sixth Form College.
Our aims in the Sixth Form are simple:
- To ensure students meet their full potential academically and achieve qualifications to enable successful transition to HE, apprenticeships or employment
- To provide opportunities for students to develop socially, as well as academically, enhancing their employability skills
- To support students’ well-being during their studies and promote healthy lifestyle choices
We are extremely proud of our students and their achievements. Our results are a testimony to the hard work of the staff and the students, and a reflection of the caring, Christian ethos within the Sixth Form. A dedicated team of staff work hard to ensure that students are supported through all aspects of their time within the sixth form, from the transition from high school, choosing subjects and coping with examination stress, through to support with university and apprenticeship applications and making the transition to Higher Education or employment.
We offer a wide range of A-Level, BTECs and Technical Level qualifications at Level 3, and a smaller range of level 2 qualifications, meaning courses are accessible for students with differing prior attainment., Extra-curricular opportunities are extensive. For example our Enrichment Programme offers the opportunity for tailored Work Experience Placements, volunteering or further academic study via the EPQ. Trips and visits within subject areas help students to develop additional knowledge and skills.
At The Deanery Sixth Form…
- Students make excellent progress; The Deanery is in the top two post-16 providers in Wigan for student progress within Academic Qualifications, and is the top performing college in Wigan for Applied General Qualifications and for the progress of disadvantaged students
- Students can combine A Level and other L3 qualifications such as A Levels
- Students can choose to study 3 or 4 subjects, and AS examinations are still available in many subject areas
- Students are fully supported in their studies, with excellent academic and pastoral guidance
- Smaller class sizes allow personalised support in all areas
- The Enhancement Programme enriches the curriculum and equips students with valuable transferable skills such as finance, cooking on a budget, practical skills and first aid
- Students have the opportunity to work towards a L3 Extended project Qualification in an area of their choice
- Work experience opportunities are available in a wide range of employment areas
- External links provide our students with additional opportunities such as the ‘Teachers of Tomorrow’ Programme in association with Edge Hill University
- Links with local businesses have enabled students to gain sponsorship for University courses and routes into apprenticeships.
- Our Town Centre location means close access to transport links and other services
Students from other high schools as well as from the Deanery High School are fully welcomed by staff and students alike into our caring and supportive environment. Students from other high schools have often formed part of our student leadership team.
Our Students Say:
- “The care and support given to students is beyond compare. You are treated as an individual.”
- “High quality teaching! Teachers are committed and willing to help.”
- “Small classes mean it is easier to learn and ask for help.”
Please browse the rest of our website to find out more. If you have any questions or would like to arrange a visit to our Sixth Form Centre, please don’t hesitate to contact Ms Debra Hampson email@example.com We look forward to welcoming you!