History A Level
Exam Board: OCR
Assessment: 80% examination, 20% topic based essay
Mr M Smith
- Democracy & Dictatorship in Germany 1919-1963
- Independent Enquiry
Miss E Hart
- Anglo-Saxon England & the Norman Conquest 1035-1107
- Civil Rights in the USA 1865-1992
Why Study History?
- History is one of the most respected A Levels. It is one of the A Levels that Russell Group Universities (the top universities) particularly look for.
- It is also widely valued by employers.
- Historians can: make a concise report, ask questions and find answers, make decisions about an issue, analyse material, organise themselves, think creatively and independently.
- Historians are: good communicators, problem solvers and flexible thinkers.
- Even if you’re following a more science based route it’s a great subject to show that you are more rounded.
Why choose The Deanery?
- History at the Deanery secures consistently strong results which are only improving.
- We love our subject – Teachers deliver on their specialisms, you will not find a more passionate set of practitioners anywhere else.
- We have a perfect variety of specialists, from 20th century Germany to Medieval Britain and Civil Rights in the USA. Within the department there is also experience of mentoring students who are applying to study History at Oxbridge and other top universities.
- Our class sizes are perfect for success, allowing for more one on one support and a more caring, supportive environment to ensure all students achieve their potential.
- We have a wide variety of extra-curricular activities on offer so you can experience living history and foster a love of our subject. We engage with local history through trips, visit major universities and offer international trips to Berlin and Auschwitz.
What could this subject lead to?
History is looked upon very favourably by employers. It shows you have the ability to reason, problem solve, analyse, question and, above all, shows you are a rounded individual.
Example career paths include: The Police, Media, Foreign Affairs, Research, Further Study, Law, Politics, Journalism, Broadcast Journalism, Social Work, Sales & Marketing, Advertising, Banking, Accountancy, Armed Forces, Writing, Publishing, Civil Service, Sport, Fashion, Voluntary/Charity Sector, Arts Sector, Teaching
Regardless of your career path, history is looked upon VERY favourably by employers. It shows you have the ability to reason, problem solve, analyse, question and, above all, shows you are a rounded individual