What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)?
For added security on all staff email accounts being accessed on a personal device/home network we have implemented Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). This means that we have added an extra verification step to make sure that you are who you say you are! (such as phone call, text message, or mobile app notification) to access your email account and other Microsoft applications.
Multi-Factor authentication is now mandatory on all staff email accounts to increase security and therefore you will need to complete the following steps in order to access your email account on your mobile phone, laptop or tablet.
- Visit www.office.com
- Click here to download the comprehensive guide to setting up MFA from Microsoft.
- Follow the instructions in the guide precisely, using your staff email address and password to successfully set up MFA.
- MFA only applies to personal devices and home/mobile internet networks. The signing-in process within school does not require MFA.
- webmail.deanery.wigan.sch.uk is no longer active.
- It is best practice to use links from the school website to access Microsoft 365.
- When accessing staff emails on a mobile phone, we recommend downloading the Microsoft App from the App Store (page 5 in the handbook).