8th October 2014
Ofsted Inspection Report
As you will be aware the Deanery High School was inspected between 16th and 17th September. The full inspection report was published today on the Ofsted website www.ofsted.gov.uk. This is the school’s second inspection in 18 months.
The report shows where the school is on its journey towards being a good school and, in the future, an outstanding school. The report highlights the many positive improvements that have been made since the last inspection, including the fact that 2014 saw the best GCSE and A Level results that the Deanery has ever achieved.
I am delighted that the students are reflected throughout the report in such a positive light. We were actually graded a “Good” again for Behaviour and Safety. Sixth Forms now receive a separate judgment in Ofsted inspections and again I am delighted to report that our Sixth Form was also considered to be “Good.”
Other strengths included:
• Progress in English at Key Stage 4 is good.
• Students in the Sixth Form receive a good all-round standard of education and achieve well.
• Students’ behaviour and attitudes to learning and to each other are good. They feel safe in school.
• The Governors challenge the school’s work comprehensively and ask probing questions about how achievement and teaching are improving.
• The headteacher provides strong, inspirational leadership which is driving improvement rapidly.
The school has been graded overall as ‘requiring improvement’. Some of the areas that we still need to work on include:
• The overall consistency of teaching across the school to ensure that all students make good progress.
• More accurate assessment and planning needed in order to promote the progress of all students.
• Ensure that learning support assistants all know their roles and fully support the students in their progress.
Although disappointed with some of the judgments, both the Governors and I are reassured that the school is moving forward in the right direction towards becoming a good school and in the future an outstanding school. The areas cited for improvement are ones that had already been identified by senior management and which are currently being addressed in order to ensure that the students of the Deanery High School receive the best education possible.
A full PDF copy of the report is available here. If you would like a hard copy of the report please contact the school and we will provide one.
Thank you for your continued support.
Mrs Janice Rowlands
Results Day Photos
“We are delighted to announce that our 2014 GCSE results are our BEST EVER. 69% of students achieved 5 or more A*-C grades including English and Maths. This is our highest to date. 77% of our students achieved 5 or more A*-C passes, with 28% of pupils receiving 3 or more A*-A grades. There were 30 students who opened their envelopes with quite remarkable results achieving 7 or more A*-A grades.
This follows last week’s A Level results, which were also the best our 6th Form college has ever achieved.
What a brilliant year for our students! A lot of hard work and commitment from both staff and students has certainly paid off! This is despite the changes that have been made nationally to the exam system. We are now looking forward to seeing many of our Year 11 students back with us in our sixth form in September.”